Minimum 2 Hours
– Gear up with snorkel gear and mopeds at Big Island Motorcycle Co. in the Kings’ Shops in Waikoloa. Yes, we will give you a “bundle” deal for the rentals, just mention this route posting!
– From the shop make a left out onto Highway 19 heading north.
– Mopeds have a speed threshold of 30 mph so you must ride on the shoulder! Be sure to yield to all traffic, assuming that they do not see you. Also, please obey all traffic laws including traffic lights and stop signs.
– Proceed about 4.5 miles north on Hwy 19, turning left onto Puako Beach Dr., look for the signs that say Puako. This left turn will take you out into a turn lane (not a traffic signal) so please yield to all traffic in both directions.
– Make a right onto Kohola Way (not marked but is the first right) after about .5 miles then left into the beach parking lot (this will be obvious). The short road to the parking lot is not paved. We do not allow you to ride the mopeds off-road so please walk the mopeds to the parking lot and lock them to something, or to each other. Those little tires can’t handle gravel, so you might get a flat or end up flat on your back if you decide to ride them off-road.
– This beach is called “69’s” or Waialea Bay and is great for snorkeling and swimming. A sandy bottom, lots of shade and space to spread out makes this spot one of our favorites. There are fresh water showers and bathrooms at this beach as well as a few picnic tables. Provisions can be purchased at a small grocery store in Puako proper, about a mile south of the beach. When snorkeling you will want to enter on the south end of the beach area where there is more coral and less cloudiness due to waves.
– When snorkeling be sure to follow the “look but don’t touch rule,” to avoid damage to coral and other wildlife. Be mindful of your fins and never stand on the coral as simply touching the coral can kill it.
– This could easily be an all day adventure, so relax and enjoy some of the best snorkeling on the island. Fun is easy!
– To get back to Big Island Motorcycle Co., simply come back the way you came.