– From Big Island Motorcycle Co. make a left at the light onto Highway 19.
– At the next traffic signal turn right onto Waikoloa Road.
– Take this road until you reach the T (about 12 miles) and take a left onto Mamalohoa Hwy
– After about 5 miles you will need to take a right onto Hwy 200 aka Saddle Road.
– Continue on Saddle Road for about 25 miles and make a left on the Mauna Kea Access Road. Stop at the visitor center on your right.
– There is a bathroom for public use between the Saddle Road Junction and the Mauna Kea Access Road, look for the “campground” with the little cabins. Otherwise there are no facilities until you reach the visitor center on Mauna Kea where you can buy snacks and drinks and use the restroom. There is absolutely NO gas station on Saddle Road so be sure to fill up before heading out.
– You may not ride the motorcycle past the visitor center on Mauna Kea due to dangerous road conditions requiring a 4WD vehicle however from the visitor center there are amazing views within a short 10 minute hike as well as a place to view the endangered silversword plant.
– The visitor center itself is very interesting as they have loads of information about the Mauna Kea observatories and related information.
– Jackets and riding gear are included with your motorcycle and if you choose to take this route we highly recommend wearing some gear as it gets real cold at the high elevations.
– One of the best parts about this route is heading back toward the ocean from the mountain. You can feel the air gradually heat up and the views are, of course, amazing!
– To get back to Big Island Motorcycle Co., simply retrace your steps.