Tucked into the farthest reaches of the Mauna Lani Resort (only 2 miles from our shop) is a great black sand beach perfect for sunbathing, snorkeling, and relaxing Hawaiian style. Want to get there? Follow this great route.
– From Big Island Motorcycle Co. follow Waikoloa Beach Drive to the traffic signal and take a left heading north.
– After 2 miles take a left into the Mauna Lani Resort.
– At the round-about take the road farthest to the left going south. Follow this road about a mile, looking out for the (small) residential looking sign that says “49 Black Sand Beach” on your left. This is a gated community but also a public beach access point.
– Tell the guard you wish to go to the beach. He will have you sign in and you are free to access the beach.
– Follow the main road inside all the way to the end where you will find the beach parking lot.
– There are bathrooms and fresh water showers. Don’t forget your snorkel gear!